7.21.2008

No news is... no news.

I've been slipping in and out of labor... it's been very, very slow.

I actually got a pretty good night's sleep last night, but Saturday night I kept having contractions strong enough to keep me from sleeping, just not strong enough to actually have a baby. As I lay there groaning, my husband (still asleep) sat bolt upright and firmly shushed me. It's a good thing I'm used to his sleep-talking. We had a good laugh about it in the morning. =)

Through church, I was contracting gently but insistently, and I was utterly incapable of concentration. It was a good sermon... I think it may have had something to do with the Apostle Paul? This is a very strange experience for me, to be so utterly averse to rational thought.

Afterwards, the ladies of the church threw a lovely luncheon and shower for baby and me, which September and I greatly enjoyed. The contractions were quite easy to ignore as long as I had lots of distraction that didn't require the use of my suddenly nonexistent rational capacities.

Until the very end. I didn't need to leave early... but we sure packed up in a hurry, and the pastor's wife did go over the speed limit driving Timmo and I home.

The midwife met me at home, and one of the ladies from church stayed to watch the kids.

I went upstairs and contracted until I felt like I was going to split in two, and then I contracted some more... and then it stopped.

Second verse same as the first.

This could take a while.

It's frustrating and discouraging... but all the same, I'm very glad for the good night's sleep. I feel much more ready for whatever it is that comes next.

2 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh Elena, I'm so sorry! Prodromal labor is SO. NOT. FUN. And you seem to have it badly! I'll be praying that things pick up and that you finish quickly. Has the midwife checked you? Maybe all this futzing around is making progress so the end will be really fast? One can always hope! :) Love you!

Heidi said...

I will pray for you. May God give you a special grace for this time. My midwife would always talk about all the work that your body is doing ahead of time so that actual labor may not be as intense. Regardless, God knows. He is with you. And there are many people lifting you up to Him right now.