4.07.2006

Compulsive Spending

We are now the proud (?) owners of a "SODA" drink set from IKEA.

In case that is not entirely self explanatory, in addition to several dozen brightly colored translucent acrylic straws, we have approximately 436 billion 32 thousand 5 hundred and 48 brightly colored translucent acrylic paddles and oars of various sizes ranging from miniscule to very small.

There were supposed to be 437 billion, but we missed a few.

I have no idea what they are for, but I do know that they cost us five 5 dollars and 63 cents. And that they took 6 minutes and 12 seconds to gather up off the floor, and that they elevated my blood pressure by 14%.

We would also have been the proud owners of a perfectly heinous powder blue foam placemat embossed with 32 concentric circles, and embellished with one black smudge, but somebody threw it out of the cart upstairs, and we didn't realize it until we were downstairs in the checkout line. We may have been willing to pay 2 dollars and 49 cents to assuage our guilty consciences, but wind our way back up through the third floor and back again? I think not.

And now you know why IKEA has a playroom.

2 comments:

slowlane said...

I think those are "stirrers" so that you can mix your own soda flavors without getting the odd taste that flatware has when mixed with carbonation. Because of course, you are a very saavy soda drinker and can only stand to have the purest of sodas pass over your discerning tongue.

Elena Johnston said...

Thank you ever so much, Slowlane. I feel very sophisticated, now. =)