6.18.2007

We are alive.

I've always thought of myself as a girl of the desert.

Now I realize that it is not the desert I love, it is the oasis. The clear blue stream overflowing with life, the droplets splashing on the hot, windcarved sand.

From the shade of a cottonwood tree, I love to gaze upon the cactus and the redrocks.

But the true desert... the endless expanse is cruel and wicked. Its desire is to bleach my bones and the bones of my children, like the bones of so many coyotes before, creatures made of much sterner stuff than we.

But we are alive.

The desert has not bleached our bones, and we are safe in this familiar and lovely oasis... I'd forgotten just how beautiful the Verde Valley is. It is good to be home.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Yay! I'm glad you made it.

slowlane said...

Me, too.

Rachel said...

Me three!

MirCat said...

YEAY..thanks for the update.

Robbie said...

Ok for some reason i have totally lost your email address!! i know i know you just gave the right one to me, but i just went to email you about your big move and i can't find you. You have been completely deleted from my address book. So please ablige me once again.
robbie

Christa said...

This is a beautiful post, absolutely beautiful and says so much in just a few sentences. One of my favorites of yours so far - and I'm glad that you're in Arizona, being home often brings healing with it.