There are two big amorphous messes in our home, that continuously grow, sucking everything in the vicinity into their disorder. Actually, there are lots of messes around here, and all messes seem to behave that way... but for the most part, we conquor them on the weekends, and they rise up again, and we conquor them again... Two messes, however, have managed to evade our efforts, week after week, month after month.
In the closet, there is a huge basket filled with yarn left over from sundry projects, many of which I abandoned because the yarn became entirely too tangled to do anything with it except leave it in a heap to collect sundry small items in its elaborately confused web.
The other mess is the toybox.
'Nuff said.
And so it is that I am knitting the leftover yarn into drawstring baggies with which to organize the wuggies toys. The duplos will be in one bag, the little people in another, and never the twain shall meet. The children will happily play with one neatly homogenous set of toys, until they decide to put it away and pull out a different one. Blissful order. And the closet will be free of the overflowing basket of yarn.
My mother is quite skeptical about my ability to solve the age-old problem of the disorganized toy box.
My husband is quite skeptical about my ability to see such a large-scale knitting project to completion.
They're probably both right.
But I have to try.
11.15.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I have seen an organized toy box before. I must tell you that I was hesitant to approach it for fear of entering into some alternate dimension, but they do exist.
I also read a bit of humor on the subject recently. The article in this mom's magazine suggested that you get different see-through tubs to separate each of the different types of toys and then also have one large, empty tub for when you don't have the time to sort the toys out. I've tried to make sense of that through several different methods, but it always seems to me that an empty tub in a toy room is a bad idea. It will be used to stand on or climb on or throw at a younger brother. And why would having one large tub to dump everything in be so much better than just dumping everything into each of two tubs?
Yarn bags also make great toys... as is evidenced by the pictures of me proudly wearing oddly-shaped "hats" in my baby books. :)
Post a Comment