11.08.2007

Shut-eye

This afternoon the wuggies and I did a fun little exercise designed to develop memory skills, or some such thing. Much along the lines of the standard baby shower game, I showed them a platter with four objects. Then I told them to close their eyes while I removed one of the objects. When they opened their eyes again, they had to tell me which object was missing.

In the end, Nathan did answer correctly once, but Isaiah was only interested in finding other objects that ought to go on the platter. September meanwhile, repeated everything I said, with lots of cheering sprinkled in. If they didn't quite understand it, however, they more than made up for it with enthusiasm, and when my game was over, they each created their own spinoffs.

Isaiah arranged a number of toys on the platter, and asked me to come talk about them.

And Nathan told me to close my eyes, while he went to his room to bring out a surprise.

I did. I shouldn't have, but I did. It was just for a few seconds, but I closed my eyes.

And so did he, apparently, because the next thing I knew, he had walked right into his brother. At least, I think that's what happened. My eyes were shut.

At any rate, Isaiah appeared to be uninjured, but Nathan had a bloody nose. I was scared silly, but after just a few minutes of gentle pressure to the bridge of his nose, the bleeding stopped.

At this point, Nathan leaned back in my arms, and looked mournfully up at me.

"I've got no more blood. It's all gone."

If his rambunctious behavior for the rest of the day is any indication, there is still plenty of blood flowing around him, right where it's supposed to be. All's well that ends well.

But it's going to be a very long time before I bring up any games involving the closing of the eyes.

Except for bedtime. And come to think of it, I'm quite looking forward to that one after today.

No comments: