12.02.2005

Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!

Yes, it's true. I buy my children breakfast cereal based on the toys that come in the box.

Er... well... at least when Cheerios stuffs their boxes with cheaply bound editions of fantastic children's picture books.

Contrary to my first impression, Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! is not a vehicle for Cheerios ads, but rather is a gem of a book, with a new twist on the familiar theme of the gardener vs. the bunnies.

The wuggies love it, but I think I get even more excited over it than they do. The musician in me delights in its form and structure. Lots of repetition, growing in complexity with each iteration, and vast variety in the creative references to those flop-eared puff-tails. An exquisite balance of simplicity and complexity, unity and diversity. Not to mention the delightful onomonopoea, always a wonderful thing, and especially at this age.

All in all, a fantastic book... one which I will most definitely replace when the boys inevitably destroy this copy.

Tippy, tippy, tippy, pat....

Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!

2 comments:

Emily said...

So if it is such a good book, how about teaching them not to destroy it? They're totally old enough.

Elena said...

Well, this binding didn't come in a Cheerios box for no reason. I give it a year... assuming the wuggies are very gentle with it. =)