12.21.2006

Living in a fantasy

Today, I am a dragon.

There are lots of reasons why I might be a bit dragonish just now. Before Andy stumbled off to work at the unearthly hour of 4 am., he poked his head into the boys' room to kiss his sleeping sons. And found his firstborn sleeping peacefully in a puddle of vomit.

Delightful way to start off the day, it was not.

Factor in the unauthorized color-fest, and the diarrhea, and I can't believe I was at Walmart last night and didn't even pick up wipes... well, you can see why I might be a dragon today.

But that's not why I am a dragon today.

Somehow, in spite of it all, today has been one of those bright glowing days that filled my virginal dreams of motherhood. Those dreams that never really took account of the messes and the frustrations and the lost sleep--I vaguely knew that they were a part of motherhood, but in the dreams, they never mattered, covered as they were in a hazy mist of tenderness.

And that is how today has been.

Today, I am a dragon, because that is the game of choice. I am a great fire-breathing dragon, and my sons are valiant knights with shining swords. And when, grins ablazing, they are through slaying me, they are my own precious dragon babies, fresh hatched from great dragon eggs, and I cover them with kisses.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'll just go shred some potatoes with my enormous claws, and cook them with my firey breath.

No comments: