5.07.2007

A Certain Unpredictability

As I loaded the kids into the van in the library parking lot, a gold sedan sedan pulled in next to us. A gracefully middle-aged woman stepped out, holding a vase full of roses in undulating shades of orange.

"Hot enough for you?"

It certainly was. I wondered why her flowers didn't droop instantly upon feeling the first blast of hot air--I certainly felt rather wilted.

"And to think it was practically winter yesterday!"

I felt a little silly, talking so much about the capricious fluctuations of the weather. This is Southern California, after all, and all our weather can pretty much be summed up as variations on a theme of nice. But there it was--last night, I got up in the middle of the night for another blanket, and by 9am I had entirely forgotten what it was like not to feel as though I was roasting alive.

With all the tornadoes and floods and droughts in other parts of the world, the little fluctuations of our relatively temperate temperatures are hardly worth mentioning at all, but mention them we must.

Somehow it's comforting to know that some things never change, and some things always change.

The weather will always surprise us.

1 comment:

Christa said...

WOW! Love the new look on the website! Obviously, I'm probably commenting in a 'fashionably late' way, but comment I must. BRAVO!!!!

As I was just down in your pre-marriage neck of the woods, I was sincerely enjoying all the hot weather. Back in CO, yesterday was 50 degrees, tomorrow will be 80. :) C'est la...weather.