10.10.2007

First Day of School

It came! It came! They shipped the package on Monday (even though it was a holiday) and said it should be here in 3-5 business days. But two days later, here it is, and we're all very excited.

So this afternoon we started in on the pre-k/kindergarten curriculum from Sonlight. I did Sonlight for one year in high school, and fell head over heels in love. I'm rather jealous of my sister, since she was able to do it from 3rd grade on. Just one year was enough to sell me on great books education.

Not that they classify themselves as "Great Books." I guess they're really more of a "good books" program. It's not all classics, it's just all really great, really age-appropriate books. Everything you learn is woven in and out of lots of really fantastic books.

It's a lot like Torrey, even though the emphasis is very different. Torrey attempts to train students to transform our culture, so the focus is on the classics, and digging deep into the roots of Western civilization. Sonlight, on the other hand, is very concerned with foreign missions, and so the curriculum emphasizes world cultures. But underneath it all, both programs have the same approach to knowledge as something real and whole. And that matters a whole lot.

John Gatto says that the main thing kids learn at school is school itself, and I think he's right. This curriculum is all about teaching kids that education is interconnected, full of dialogue, and deeply meaningful.

I'm excited. This is going to be a blast.

3 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh man...all you people starting work on preschool are reminding me that I need to do that next year...which means I need to think about it this year...which is a really scary prospect...sigh. You know, I love the IDEA of homeschooling. The reality just absolutely terrifies me.

Have fun, Elena. I'm glad you're excited about it. :)

Theresa Habbestad said...

Sonlight is Brittany Wilson Holzmann's in-laws' company.

Ganeida said...

We yse Sonlight too ~ & yes, it's a blast!