7.18.2008

I did NOT expect to be live-blogging labor.

But then again, I didn't expect everything to stall out after 6 hours of hard labor.

I guess I get a break. Which is okay, because my water didn't break, so we aren't on any sort of urgent timetable.

The midwife went home, but the kids still stayed the night with Uncle Paul and Aunt Lorre.

So we had ourselves a date night. Except that our idea of an ideal date involves way more intellectual activity than is possible for a woman under the influence of labor hormones.

Which I still am, just not powerfully enough to produce any major contractions. The world is warm and gentle and a little bit blurry--maybe the hormones are supposed to help me empathize with baby. Or who knows, maybe during one of those enormous contractions, some wires got crossed, and baby would like nothing better than to help Daddy out with that geometry problem.

In any case, we rented a movie.

And now, for a few observations on labor from the middle of things:

1. It's true. The first thing the midwife does when she walks in the door is tell somebody to start boiling water. Apparently midwives have known to sterilize their instruments for a very, very long time. Go figure.

2. They call it labor for a reason. It hurts. A lot. It's not like cutting-off-your-toe hurt, though... more like weight-lifting hurts, or running a marathon. You know, "feel the burn." Except that you don't get to choose when to stop "feeling the burn." You just keep right on exercising through to the point where it's torture, and then beyond. Way, way beyond. I feel like I have a better idea what the Children of Israel were going through in Egypt.

3. My own personal slave driver seems to be pretty merciful, though.... for better and for worse. I really don't need quite this many breaks, and they don't have to be quite so long, either. But that's the the thing about labor--you don't get to pick your pace.

4. I like ripe strawberries, grapes, and almonds way better than ice chips. Way better than ice chips. =)

2 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

LOL - I didn't think you'd really do it! :) So...since there haven't been any follow-up posts to this one, and it is now the end of the next day, I'm guessing that things picked up again. Maybe there is a new little Johnston in the world right now! I hope so! Love you, Elena!

Ben said...

Hi there,

I'm trying to encourage people to take advantage of an UK Government scheme to use childcare vouchers to reduce the costs of childcare and help working parents stay at work. I realise this might not be your specific field of expertise, but it might help other parents look into it - a blog post on the topic would be helpful for parents researching on the net. There's an interesting article here: http://www.childcare-vouchers.net/benefits/cost-of-childcare-vouchers.aspx

It's an undervalued and under-used benefit for parents so the more publicity the better the chances of parents taking advantage of it!

Thank you in advance,

Ben