Ten Days

An agreement has been reached, our offer accepted. The contract has been signed by all parties.
Now we have 10 days to figure out if we really want to go through with this.

10 days to track down the condo association and make sure they're fiscally responsible. They certainly appear to be doing an amazing job of maintaining a tidy row of townhouses and a lovely pool for quite a reasonable monthly fee. On the other hand, I'm having a horrific time tracking down anyone who can provide me with documentation.

10 days to get the house inspected, make sure there are no red flags there.

10 days to talk with the someone from the sheriff's office, make sure that the neighborhood really is as safe as all the nice neighbors say it is.

10 days, for that matter, to decide whether or not we're really confident that out of all the neighborhoods in the greater Houston area, this is the one we want to commit to.

I think it is, though--provided we get the right set of answers over the next 10 days.

It's going to be a busy week...


Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Aren't those things generally done before you make the offer? Why did you wait until now to inspect the house and get info on the association?

Elena said...

Actually, you can't order a professional inspection until there's a contract in place. And even if we could, that's a big investment to make for a place that might get sold out from under you.

We really did want to hold off on making an offer until we'd sorted through the rest of it, though. Unfortunately, we were in competition with another potential buyer, so the house would have been gone by the time we'd tracked down the right paperwork.

It's not ideal, but nothing we're going to find out about the condo association or crime rates is going to change the price--just whether or not we want to live there at all. =)

And our contract lets us back out no questions asked, losing only the option fee, so it should work out okay.