2.27.2008

Works for Me Wednesday: Pretty Nails

A few months ago, a vendor at the mall did a little demonstration, buffing one of my nails to a glorious sheen. Seriously, it was amazing. It looked like I was wearing clear nail polish, except very, very nice clear nail polish, only better. It brought a natural rosy glow to my nail, too, and the vendor said that all the extra blood circulation would promote nail growth. I'm not sure about that, but it sounds plausible.

So I was definitely sold on the idea of nail buffing. Unfortunately for the vendor, I was not sold on the idea of paying $50 for a nail buffer. Not even if it came with fancy Dead Sea skin care products. And no, not even if they knocked the price down to $25.

I had absolutely no idea whether it was any better than the cheap buffers at the drug store.

Well, now that I've tried a few of the drug store variety, I can tell you that if you're wanting to invest in your nails, if the mall vendor will give you one for $25, it's definitely not a rip-off. Their nail buffer really is considerably nicer than the ones you can get at the drugstore, in addition to being nicer than a salon manicure.

But as for me? I'm using the two-sided Sally Hansen nail buffer that I picked up at Family Dollar for a buck.

The shine doesn't last as long as the shine on my mall nail did, but then again, the process with the Sally Hansen buffer is much, much quicker, so it really sort of evens out.

And whatever buffer you use (as long as you don't use one of the four-sided ones with built in emery boards to scratch your nails as you try to buff) the results are splendidly mom-friendly.

No chipping polish, no noxious chemicals, nothing for the kids to knock over and destroy the carpet with... just pretty nails.

Works for Me.

3 comments:

fullheartandhands mama said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for one on my next trip to the store.

Mzzterry said...

i have found that the more often you use it, the better! if you will use the cheapie buffer every night for about a week it will shine as well as the expensive ones!
thanks for sharing!

Totallyscrappy said...

A friend purchased one of those kits for me and I love it. That buffer is wonderful and the cuticle liquid (not the lotion) really helps keep up that shine.
Ooh, the work it takes to be beautiful!