5.13.2006

A Long Sentence; Five Terms

In cleaning out the van, Andy came across the sunshade to Aiden's car seat. Nathan immediately recognized the item, but upon glancing around, noted that its owner was nowhere to be seen.

"Ai'n not play here. Bye-bye."

I was pretty impressed. I do believe that's his most complex usage of the English language to date.

Not that it's the longest sentence he's made, or most complex idea he's communicated... but most of it just goes right over my head. My twinspeak is rudimentary.

Very rudimentary. In fact I only know one word.

Ah'-ee, which refers to bicycles, tricycles, and motorcycles, and has no known roots in English. Ah'-ee.

It's just one word, but from what I've heard about other parents' experiences with twin languages, I'm proud of knowing even a single word.

Ah'-ee.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Autumn has used a bunch of those sounds that mean something which we cannot comprehend. When she was younger we deciphered that a grunt of "un-guh" meant "milk," and more recently that "nuba" means "oatmeal." I was quite proud of my wife for figuring out the definition of nuba.