5.16.2006

Problem is, I'll never be able to drink Starbucks again.

I just got back from a coffee tasting. Well, not exactly. I got back shortly after midnight, and there was some sleeping done between then and now, but the caffein is still coursing through me, so I snapped wide awake when Andy left for work four hours later. Maybe I'll be able to get some composing in before the kids wake up.

Anyway, it was a blast. Greg and Christina Peters hosted, but Sara Prehn presided over all coffee preparation. I had heard that she was a coffee snob, but I had no idea to what extent. To be perfectly honest, I had no idea how far it was possible for coffee-snobbery to extend. Anyway, over the course of the evening, I learned much about the home-roasting process, and how the various stages bring out the different flavors, and how each region infuses its coffee with its own particular flavor.

Frankly, that last bit was mildly disturbing, given that the coffee of the night was Kopi Luwak. I'd explain, except that this is a family blog. Just google it. There's even a search box for you in the sidebar. Be enlightened.

At any rate, despite its sordid past, the coffee was sublime and multi-layered. Ethereal and earthy, the sort of thing you'd expect dryads to drink.

If dryads drank coffee.

8 comments:

Shelley said...

I don't think I would be into the snobbery of it, but it sounds like a fun outing. Me and the boys make our morning trip to Moxie Java for momma's dessert blend (some call it flavored coffee)and some apple juice. Works for me!

HolyMama! said...

you are so classy!

i have a hard time with starbucks, now that i noticed a whole lotta flies hang out on the ceiling right above the 'pick up your order here' area.

Elena said...

Um... Ew. That's nasty.

I wish we could find some good independent coffee houses around here.

We don't particularly like Starbucks, but we haven't found any place better to go hang out and chat for a few hours without the wuggies.

Matthew said...

I just can't figure out why you'd waste all that money on coffee...

Elena said...

You know, the funny thing is, Kopi Luwak is the rarest coffee in the world, and absurdly expensive. Comes out to $5 a cup. Which, come to think of it, is about what you pay at Starbucks... Scary really.

Val said...

Thinking of those employed for "harvesting" Kopi Luwak reminds one of trying to find a treasured Lego helmet (or walkie-talkie) eaten by a younger sibling...

Elena said...

Oh. My. That is true motherly devotion.

And when I think about it in that light, I start to wonder if maybe the coffe is actually rather underpriced...

lasselanta said...

Hey, no one warned me ahead of time that this was such a delicacy... We have both coffee farms AND palm civets right here in the area around our village.

Not that I'm offering to harvest them or anything. Yeah.