3.12.2007

Welcome to Universal Jet-Lag Time

I don't understand daylight savings. Growing up in Arizona, daylight savings was just that time when all the television and radio programs got shuffled around, when all the out of state live programming moved forward or back inexplicably, and all the local programming moved around to accomodate. It was also why you had to check an almanac before calling out of state relatives, to make sure you knew you weren't calling after bedtime. Daylight savings was also the reason why sometimes, on a day trip, the time would change back and forth, back and forth, without any state borders being involved. The Navajo Nation and the State of Arizona are separate, but overlapping entities, and the Navajo Nation does observe daylight savings... it can get pretty confusing.

But it never really affected me personally until I moved to California.

I don't understand it, and I don't like it one bit.

What daylight, exactly, did we save? Sure, the sun rose at 7am instead of 8, but it also set at 5.

So instead of showering in the dark, we eat our suppers in the dark.

Brilliant.

There is a great joy and delight in getting up before the sun, having some time to prepare for the dawn. There's a sense of milking everything out of the day. The darkness between getting-up-time and sunrise is a wonderfully rich time, quivering with the expectation of light.

The darkness between sunset and going-to-bed-time is not so wonderful. It is bleak and miserable and final. The day is over, and it was short. Now it is time to eat our supper in the fading light, and enjoy our little bit of family time in the dark of night. The state has taxed away the little bit of daylight that was ours to enjoy, to devote it to our preparations for work.

I am angry.

The lack of sunlight has been very hard on me this winter, and frankly, I can't fathom what possible good daylight savings could have done anybody.

And I'm so glad it's all over, but now our schedules are all turned upside-down...

Grump, grump, grump.

2 comments:

slowlane said...

If I understand correctly, Daylight Saving Time is what allows us to have more hours of daylight in the evening. Without this innovation we would have the same time zones we have in winter all year long.

Elena said...

Oh, I see.

So the great innovation is having more daylight in the spring?

I get it. Okay, it makes sense.

So all I really liked about Arizona was living on the western extreme of a time zone.

Also, come to think of it, being in a great big hole in the ground, sunrise was quite late AND sunset was quite early, and in fact, neither happened at all for a few months of perpetual sunlight, so I guess I can't complain a bit about sunny SoCal.

So never mind! I LOVE daylight savings! I think it should be daylight savings all year long!

=)