1.25.2008

In a little while I'll finish up my posts about why I've decided that Ron Paul is worth listening to, why I think he's more likely to be right than most, even on Iraq. I'll tell my little story, and reflect calmly and inquisitively into the thought processes that go into picking a candidate.

But for now, I write with tears streaming down my face.

I don't know which way is up anymore.

Or maybe it's just that for the first time in my life, I actually do.

I've always assumed that economics and foreign policy didn't make any sense to me because I just wasn't smart enough. Surely the smart people who run our nation understand how enforced liberty isn't really contradictory, how fiat currency is a perfectly ethical basis for a economy, after all. Surely.

So I trusted the smart people in my community, and voted for the smart people they told me to vote for.

And then, a little over six years ago, everything came crashing down. In abject horror, I watched the towers fall, and the planes, but I failed to notice that the terrorists had indeed hit their mark, that the idea of America was falling as well. They sought, through fear, to bring us to our knees, and they did.

Out of the corner of my ear, I heard the president's reports on how many terrorists had been apprehended each week, and my heart soared to know how well we were being taken care of. We were going to be okay. The president had everything under control.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the signs of the protesters, something about torture, something about oil, something about the Bill of Rights. And I shook my head in disgust at these unpatriotic souls who dared to dissent in a time of war. United we stand!

But how many have received fair trials, and how many have even been charged? How many have been tortured, and of the tortured, how many were guilty, and how many were innocent? How much evidence has been destroyed, and with it how much trust?

How long can we sit by and let this happen, how long will promises to increase the brutality be met with thunderous applause?

And now the world is wondering how long the Christians will still support Huckabee now that he has voiced his disapproval of torture.

But in this world gone mad, one man is speaking truth. One man has a lucid explanation, a likely story that neatly sorts out the tangled relationships between internal and foreign affairs, national security and economics. One man is ready to explain just where we are, just how we got here, and how to set about on the long, hard road of recovery. I don't know if he's right, but I do know that he is extremely sharp, and he is honest.

I'm still open to being convinced by McCain or Huckabee as to why their views of world are more accurate. But I need to hear some darn good answers.

Never again will I cast a vote out of ignorance.

2 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

You already know what I think of Ron Paul, so I'll refrain from repeating myself. :)

What is it about Huckabee that worries you? I'm curious.

Elena said...

If I decide not to vote for Ron Paul, I wouldn't have any qualms about voting for Huckabee. I disagree with him on some things, but it's all well within the range of honest disagreement.

But Ron Paul brings up a set of issues behind the issues, and for the first time in my life, I feel like I have a really solid 'likely story' for what's going on in the world.

Texas primaries aren't until March, and I'm going to give the other side a fair chance to answer the questions Paul brings up. When I started listening to Ron Paul, I thought he was absolutely nuts for wanting to pull straight out of Iraq, but I'm well on my way to being convinced that he's right, that our presence is fueling the civil war, and that every day we stay in there, we make a happy ending that much more unlikely. So we'll see I may change my mind back again.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that Ron Paul is America's last hope.