9.14.2006

Polyphony

Sometimes, around the dinner table, we sing grace. Like we did on special occasions back home growing up, and always I dream of the day when our little family can sing in four part harmony. Andy holds down the melody, and I experiment wildly, a different descant every time. The harmonic freedom is glorious... but really, there's only so much you can do, and I dream of adding more voices to the mix.

Tonight, I think I got my dream. It wasn't four parts, since Andy had to work late, and I'm not so sure that it was harmony. But whatever it was, it was glorious.

As I sang "God is great and God is good, and we thank Him for this food..." Nathan sang "God, God, food, Tembo get in chair...," and all the while we were singing, Isaiah sang a sevenfold Amen, interjected with frantic exhortations to his brother to keep holding hands.

And oh, it was glorious.

1 comment:

Sarah Marie said...

That sounds exquisite. And I'm impressed that your little guy can sing a sevenfold amen. :)