3.14.2006

A Poll

Yesterday, there were a few things we wanted to get at Borders, but they didn't exactly fit in the budget. So what did we do? We went out and got another card. Alright... so it was actually two cards. And both maxed out by the end of the day.

Library cards, of course.

One night last week, Andy came out after putting the wuggy-boys down, and excitedly informed me that Wuggidy had sat still, entranced, as he read Saint George and the Dragon all the way through. Reading to the boys becomes progressively more enjoyable as their aesthetic sense deepens. Andy wished aloud that there were more picture books with such gloriously rich illustrations.

Well, that's setting the bar awfully high, but the Caldecott section of the local public library is certainly the place to look!

The Placentia Library is small, but lovely. Their collection is by no means extensive, but it was more than enough to make us choose very carefully how we were going to use up the five book maximum they impose on new patrons.

On the way home, I babbled on excitedly about the lovely treasures I'd found, and all the things I wanted to look for when we returned... tomorrow maybe?!

And it was in this conversation that I made a most disorienting discovery. Babar was a cherished part of both of our childhoods. Er, at least, I know and love BaBAR, and Andy has fond memories of BABar.

Thus it is that I'm calling on you, dear readers, to settle this dispute. Which one of us is shamelessly mangling the name of that marvelous elephant?

In other news concerning the pronunciation wars, the boys say chruck.

13 comments:

slowlane said...

We always said "BABar" in our family, but the orignial is French and "BABar" doesn't sound very French to me.

Ashley said...

One vote for BABar

Mrs. Speckperson said...

I remember the TV show said BABar. I vote for that one.

Rachel said...

We said both and sometimes argued (playfully, of course) about which was correct.

Matthew said...

I have to vote for BaBAR, but then, I didn't actually read the books, so I'm not sure my vote even counts...

Sarah said...

Hi Elena!
I remember the days of meeting you in the caf' at the University. I lurk a fair amount here.

So, I read your post today, and almost choked when I read, "We opened a card....well, 2... and maxed them both"
I was like,, "coughcoughcoughcough"

Thankfully, I kept reading!

Elena said...

Hey Sarah! Good to hear from you! How go the grad school apps?

Sarah said...

LOL... you're reading, eh? Well, I got invited for one interview yesterday (which was the app due date--I was impressed..) Now, if I can just take donations to afford to go!

Anonymous said...

I vote for BaBAR, but then, if that comes from the Davis side of the family than maybe we're both victims of our ancestry.

Cousin Nan

Elena said...

Yup, I suspect that we learned about Babar from the same Grandpa, Nan. (By the way, how are you doing?!)

I can't believe how many of you pronounce it WRONG! I was quite sure Andy was just an anomaly... =)

Anonymous said...

I'm doing great.. I graduate with a degree in Forest Ecosystems in December and I'm leaving in January for Africa with the Peace Corps!!!! until then, school school school. I love reading your blog, it always makes me smile :-)

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, that was me (Nan)

Anonymous said...

We always said BaBAR in my household :)